Wednesday 7 October 2015

Day 14 - 7th October

Rocky Cape to Corinna

Distance Travelled - 233.5 km

5 am was a horrible time to wake but thankfully I was able to turn over and go back to sleep for a while. After what can probably only be described as fitful dozing I finally struggled out of bed at about 8 am. Had breakfast, showered and packed away what I could whilst waiting for other things to dry out a bit. Chatted to several other people in the campsite who wandered by and then packed away the dry stuff, finally able to leave by 10 am.

Drove through to Bluff Hill and out to the lighthouse there. This one was somewhat different to others as it has a round brick building at the bottom of it and and more regular shaped tower and light. I took a few photos and then spent time just watching the sea pound the coast, sending up some high spray. This was viewed from a distance and between the wind whipping up sand and spray and the waves crashing onto rocks sending up more spray that got obliterated by the wind it was hard to get a decent photo that didn't look completely washed out.

Leaving Bluff Hill I spent the day driving through some beautiful country, stopping at some small towns to have a look. The drive from Arthur River through to Corinna was amazing. It ranged from scrub land with large hills / small mountains (reminiscent of Bluff Knoll in the Stirling Ranges in WA to some extent) through to rain forest type environment out towards Corinna.

Got to Arthur River and spent some time there doing some photography at a place they call 'The Edge of the World'. Looking at the ruggedness of the coast and the large amount of driftwood on the rocky beaches it is easy to see why. It certainly puts into perspective the forces of nature and how fragile we really are as humans.

The road from Arthur RIver to Corinna is super windy and twisty with large sections of it signposted at 45 kph and 50 kph and with good reason.It is probably the most accurately signposted speed-wise section of road I have driven on this year. I really enjoyed the 80 to 90 km that this section covered. It forces you to slow down and gives you an opportunity to see the scenery a bit better than when sitting on 100 kph. About 10 - 15 km before Corinna I saw my first live wombat for the trip. I came round a bend and it was standing on the side of the road. Before I had a chance to slow down and stop for photos it had taken off into the bush for cover.

Had a look through Corinna when I got there and then headed back out to the Savage River crossing where I spotted a place to camp on the way through. Got there and another car was already in the same spot but they were happy to share. The 2 older guys, Max and Rod - both in their 70's- and I got on well and spent a good couple of hours chatting about all sorts of things, sharing a fire and a cup of coffee after separate dinners. I spent time in the afternoon and evening taking photos and enjoying just looking at the superb scenery around me.

After they decided to settle down for the night I took time to write my blog and sort photos. Today has seen me take the biggest volume of photos I have done for a while. Many are of the same scene as I try to get the 'just right' shot. Hopefully I will have one or two that turn out ok.
Tomorrow I will go across the river on the punt and then continue down to Strahan and then see  if I can get some photos of the lighthouses down this way. Depending on what that entails I will then make plans to start heading back towards Michelle and Shane's in Lilydale and see what happens on the way and from there.

                                             Dead tree not far from Rocky Cape tavern

                                                 Bluff Hill lighthouse



                             Big driftwood on the stony beach at 'The Edge of the World'

                                Water entrance through rocks at 'The Edge of the World'

                                                    Ayrum lily at Arthur River

                                                       Ayrum lily at Arthur River

                                                      Ayrum lily at Arthur River

                                                     Ayrum lily at Arthur River

                                                   Max, at the Savage Creek campsite

                                                  Max, at the Savage Creek campsite

                                                      Rod, at the Savage Creek campsite

                                                Rod, at the Savage Creek campsite

No comments:

Post a Comment